Many don’t consider themselves addicted to anything. And many would consider themselves actually healthy, mainly because they compare themselves to the people around them. One of the worst global addictions is soft drinks. It is possibly one of the worst “things” to place into your body, a mixture of chemicals wrapped in millions and millions of dollars in advertising. So what’s it all about? Let’s look at some of the ingredients.
- Isn’t water healthy? Most of the water used in the processing of all soft drink products is not filtered. Whether Pepsi or Coca-Cola, the concentrate is made at one place and sold to bottlers all over the world. Most of the water used is straight tap water from a city system (toxins and heavy metals such as lead, trihalomethanes, cadmium, fluoride and MTBE). The carbonation that is added increases gastric secretions so that the body can “process” all of the other chemicals.
- E-150D is a food coloring. It comes from processing sugar at high temperatures; then ammonia sulfate is added (yes, the same chemical used in the weed killer Round Up).
- E952 is a sugar substitute that is 200 times sweeter than sugar, causing a dangerous spike in glycemic index.
- Acesulfame Potassium places a great deal of strain on the heart and nervous system . . . and too much can be fatal to children and very dangerous to pregnant mothers.
- Aspartame or Saccharin or Sucralose (diet and “zero”) is added as a sugar substitute with horrible study of effects: Symptoms of aspartame poisoning include: unconsciousness, headaches, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, palpitation, weight gain, irritability, anxiety, memory loss, blurry vision, fainting, joint pains, depression, infertility, hearing loss and more. This chemical can also provoke the following diseases: brain tumors, Multiple Sclerosis, epilepsy, Graves’ disease, chronic fatigue, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, mental deficiency and tuberculosis. These substances was actually illegal due to the dangers but was again made legal . . . somehow. This should never be consumed by children.
- Orthophosphoric Acid is also in there also to “assist” the body deal with the huge amount of sweeteners . . . actually keeping the consumer from immediately throwing up. This chemical interferes with the body’s ability to absorb calcium.
- Neotame? Most people have never heard of it, but they drink it every day. It is a sugar substitute that is 7,000 times sweeter than sugar (one quarter teaspoon is equal to a 22 pound bag of sugar). This chemical has been directly linked to ADD/ADHD in children.
- Caffeine is added to the mix with a concentration of 35-47 milligrams in a single 12 oz serving!
- 4-MEI is a caramel coloring that was discovered in excessive amounts when Consumer Reports tested various soft drinks at random. In 2011, it was determined by International Agency for Research on Cancer that 4-MEI was carcinogenic to humans.
- Do you look for your plastic bottles to say BPA free? Well, most manufactures like Coca Cola still line aluminium cans with BPA (Bisphenol-A), despite the huge amount of health related links to the chemical.
- And literally . . . on and on and on
So what happens when you consume a single soft drink? While scanning nutritionresearchcenter.org, I found the following breakdown:
- In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.)
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
- 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
- >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
- >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
- >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
So, with all of that, I still cannot say that an occasional soft drink will completely destroy you, buy why place all of those chemicals in your body? Be conscience of what you put in there. Don’t down a soft drink when you’re thirsty. It acts as a diuretic and will only make you increasingly thirsty . . . see a pattern? Slowly cut these from your diet (noun not verb) and you’ll see a huge uptake in your health. It won’t be easy at first, but you can do it! Isn’t it funny how the world demonizes the tobacco industry and lets this slide?
Sources: naturalsociety.com, ieatndrink.com, nutritionresearchcenter.org, mic.com