- WEAR A PRO TEAM KIT/GC WINNER’S JERSEY: Nine out of ten riders who do this can’t ride well in the first place. It’s embarrassing. Put your team SKY jersey in the bottom drawer, until team SKY calls you. You might have the same bike, shoes, and helmet, but you don’t have the same legs.
- LISTEN TO AN MP3 PLAYER IN A GROUP RIDE: It is rude for starters, and it is dangerous, not being able to hear what’s going happening around you.
- SPORT A MOUNTAIN BIKE HELMET/ SHOES WHILE RIDING A ROAD BIKE: Know the difference, if you are serious.
- WEAR BIBS ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR JERSEY: Needs no explanation . . . you definitely get noticed though.
- NOT HYDRATING: Drink often and drink what will help . . . plain water is no good in taxing heat. Plain water acts as a diuretic.
- ROTATION TO THE . . . BACK: Be able to pull in the front. Don’t work your way up in the slipstream to third wheel back and suddenly drift to the back. The same three dudes can’t do all of the pulling. Pull, even for a little bit.
- NOT PUTTING IN YOUR TIME: Have fun but work hard on the bike. Group rides are great, but you can’t “sit in” all of the time and expect to get better. Do interval work, and search for interesting ways to train in magazines or the Internet. Cross training is also very beneficial.